Re: SoCiS: interfacing Symbolics package with Python

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: SoCiS: interfacing Symbolics package with Python
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2015 16:19:15 +0100

On 25 April 2015 at 12:42, Tomasz Ożański <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Since my maximum entropy method algorithm proposal seems to be troublesome
> to be realized during this edition, I would like to try with another topic,
> this time a one form the list of proposed ideas — namely I would be
> interested in the development of the Symbolic package. I believe I can
> handle the interface between the package and Python.
>
> I would like to ask you one question regarding the topic: what do you
> mean in „interacting with Python as a library”? I do not know SymPy, but
> it seems to be written entirely in Python so it must not exist as a
> standard system library, so my guess is I would have to write some
> intermediate code in C/C++ to handle all the communication, am I right?

Mike Miller and Jordi Hermoso already started working on this one level up.
The long run plan would be to integrate pytave into octave core so one can
access python from the Octave interpreter.  See

http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Bring-Pytave-into-core-td4669615.html

I'm sure there will stll be loads of work to be done there.

Carnë