Re: Setting up for GSoC TISEAN port project

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Setting up for GSoC TISEAN port project
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 19:07:27 +0200

Hi Piotr,

Welcome aboard.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 4:57 PM, Piotr Held <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Juan,
>
> I have a number of questions about what our work will look like. If there is
> a link where this is explained you can just send me that link in response.
>
> We need to schedule:
> * Meetings
> * Updates
> * A schedule
>
> My question is as follows:
> 1. What happens during the meetings? How long are they? How often do they
> need to be? What is a good time for you?
During the meetings we discuss some formalities: state of the coding,
problems, etc. basically what we will do every time we meet in IRC,
being that a "formal" meeting or not.
The formal meetings I will try to keep them short, top 1 hr. They are
just tie slots that we should have uninterrupted, fully dedicated.
Maybe we can do once every two weeks or so. Lets get a feeling of how
often we need to meet in the following weeks. Again, we can meet at
any time, this is just a regular thing to give us some frame.
You suggested 14:00 UTC, fine with me.

> 2. Are commits updates? Are they more? Do they include blog posts? How often
> do they need to be?
Commits are not "updates", the way I meant it. Commits indeed update
your code, but what I meant by updates is: "I want to know how things
are going". That is, whether you need specific help, or something is
not going as expected, etc...
Blog posts are totally up to you and I would suggest you write as
often as you can! One every 10-15 days should be enough, but when you
do cool stuff (or hit the wall), share it!

> 3. You wanted to discuss a schedule. What schedule were you referring to? Is
> it what my daily tasks will be? Or a schedule for our meetings?
> 4. Is the timeline I outlined in google calendar sufficient?
Schedule and timeline, the same. It is enough with the calender.

> 5. I was planning on starting to work on the project from next week (as
> shown in the google calendar). Are there any reasons why I should not?
No reasons at all, go ahead, but maybe you want to enjoy your days in
the bonding period getting ideas from other members. I particular I
suggest to talk with carandraug (our Forge master) and with our big
Guru's: jwe, JordiGh, Rik, Nir, Mike Miller, Olaf Till, etc... you
will notice they are the most active in the mailing list.

Go ahead and talk with the people, everybody has great ideas (even if
I do not always like them :D )