Re: gnuplot graphics toolkit bugs

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: gnuplot graphics toolkit bugs
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 13:01:14 -0500

On 06/23/2015 12:41 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
On Jun 23, 2015, at 12:58 PM, Daniel J Sebald<address@hidden>  wrote:

On 06/23/2015 08:58 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

On Jun 23, 2015, at 2:52 AM, Daniel J Sebald<address@hidden>

[snip]

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=43907
bug #43907: OpenGL render code called even when gnuplot is graphics_toolkit

Dan

Perhaps the most serious gnuplot 5 related bug is below. I’ve attached a patch
to the bug report, but since I’m not able to build Octave 4.x on Mac OSX, I
haven’t pushed it.

        http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?42838

Ben

Well, there is a lot there for me to read, but let me just guess that this is
the issue where default EPS mode uses grayscale, not color.  And in gnuplot,
the grayscale mode translates any non-white color to black, technically
monochrome.

Yes. I think that is correct.

I had addressed this somewhat in the changeset:

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?44187
bug #44187: Bugs and modifications in print() with gnuplot graphics toolkit

by either not plotting the color background or using color terminal but casting
all colors to a grayscale equivalent.  But then I thought that was too much for
one bug report and pulled back so that the black
color-background-translates-to-black issue is still present.

I like the solution of handling the color/gray-scale in Octave (i.e. Gnuplot is
always told the to use color). Is that what you mean?

Yes, I tried that, but when combined with the other parts of that changeset it simply was too much to follow. The two ideas should be kept separate.

Looking at the changeset here:

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?42838

one of the issues is compatibility. Octave EPS output should be grayscale, not color. EPSC is color. Unless I'm overlooking something, I suspect more is needed than just choosing "color" option. I think the patch associated with this comment:

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?44187#comment13

still had elements of mapping to grayscale, but again I'm sure it is difficult to follow as the use of "mono" means different things in the various circumstances.

Dan