Re: Missing functions in the statistics package.

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: Missing functions in the statistics package.
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 23:18:26 +0200

On 14.09.2015 22:43, Dag wrote:
Mike Miller-4 wrote
This is an install of the package, not the source. To clone the source
repo for statistics,

   hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/statistics

Do you have any thoughts about how we could make that step more
discoverable?

I managed the cloning.

It often seems like documentation assumes that you have more than
introductory knowledge of things, i.e. there is some information and then
you are supposed to fill in lots of blanks yourself. Information on Octave
seems to be scattered at many different places, and sometimes not kept up to
date. This is confusing. Maybe that you can have a review of where
information is being stored right now and make it more comprehensive.

As far as I am concerned, I would like to see is separate information for
two types of people: *users* and *coders*. For coders, there should be
information on the steps that you need to start programming. That is
basically this discussion that I have been having here. For users, the
relevant information already exists but perhaps a minor review and
reorganization is that is needed.

I will tell if I come up with more ideas.

Dag,

the information for coders can primarily be found in the wiki:
http://wiki.octave.org/Main_Page

It is true that some of the pages are outdated or contain quickly scraped together little pieces of information.

Please feel free to edit the content while you find out it is outdated or needs reorganization. If unsure or you want to do major reorganization, you can ask in IRC or in the mailing list for assistance.

Other developers will see and probably review your modifications in the list of recent changes.

Thanks for your support.

Oliver