Re: Directed rounding

From: Eric Walter
Subject: Re: Directed rounding
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 17:56:22 +0200

Dear Juan Pablo,

Thanks for your quick reaction. What I need is a simple way of computing the smallest floatting point number that is larger than some given real number that may be the result of some computation, as well as the largest floatting point number that is smaller that the same real number. This corresponds to two of the four rounding modes demanded by IEEE 747. As far as I know, none of the functions that you mention perform that. MATLAB does not do it, Scilab does not do it either. To see how these rounding modes may be used to assess number of significant digits, you may consult chapter 14 of the book

http://www.springer.com/fr/book/9783319076706#reviews

Best,

Eric