Re: Octave-Forge: Proposal to improve package overview page

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge: Proposal to improve package overview page
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 21:58:53 +0200

On 15.10.2015 20:41, Alexander Barth wrote:
> Dear Oliver,
>
> This is great, especially the windows logo!

I didn't want to risk trademark issues and have chosen the picture of a
regular window. Any similarity with dead or living operating systems is
purely coincidental. ;-)

> Maybe it would be good to have the logo also as SVG files (if they are
> not too big).
> High-resolution screen are increasingly common.

This is not possible for all of the current icons, because there is no
vectorized source material in all cases. It should be possible for many
of them, however is it really worth the extra effort to repeat the work
on all icons and prepare quality vector graphics?

> I noticed that you used the netCDF logo from Unidata for the ncarray
> package. I am not sure if we can use that for the "official" page.

I thought it falls under the software's license
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/copyright.html):
“… granted the right … to distribute … supporting documentation …”

However, we should definitely double check the licenses. I have a list
of all image material that I used. The licenses range from public
domain, (L)GPL, GFDL, CC-BY(-SA) to CC0 (see below). We have to properly
attribute some of the original authors and still have to figure out a
sane way to do that (maybe a footnote on the web site?).

> Maybe
> it is the best if the package maintainers (myself for ncarray) provides
> your a logo. Or maybe some volunteers to have consistently themed logos.

Yes, definitely. Please go ahead and prepare better logos for your
packages. I thought it would be good to have some prepared, because
otherwise there would be a lot of packages having none and then the
whole idea would be spoiled.

I guess it is wishful thinking to have a voluntary designer who can
prepare a consistently themed set of package icons for us. Though I'd
love that. In practice it is already hard to find any pictures in
documentation for scientific software. You need some material to start with.

Oliver

P.S. This is the full list of third party material used in the current
draft.

* bim.png: From Octave Wiki
http://wiki.octave.org/File:Fiume_sol_pdesurf.png
* cgi.png: Own work (with cliparts from LibreOffice)
* communications.png: From Wikimedia Commons (GFDL, CC-BY-SA 3.0)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hamming_distance_3_bit_binary_example.svg
* control.png: From Octave Wiki
http://wiki.octave.org/File:Inverted_pendulum_new.png
* data-smoothing.png From function reference for “regdatasmooth”
* database.png: Own work and the PostreSQL logo
* dataframe.png: From Octave Wiki http://wiki.octave.org/Dataframe_package
* dicom.png: From Wikimedia Commons
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Knie_mr.jpg
* divand.png: From
http://modb.oce.ulg.ac.be/mediawiki/index.php/File:Divand_realistic_example.png
* doctest.png: Own work and Wikipedia Commons (LGPL)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Crystal_Project_bug.png
* econometrics.png: From Wikimedia Commons (GFDL, CC-BY-SA 3.0)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Okuns_law_differences_1948_to_mid_2011.png
* fem-fenics.png: From Octave Wiki
http://wiki.octave.org/File:HyperElasticity.png
* financial.png: Own work
* fits.png: From Wikimedia Commons (GPL2+)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SAOImage-DS9.png
* fpl.png: From function reference for “pdesurf”
* fuzzy-logic-toolkit.png: From function “heart_disease_demo_1”
* ga.png: From Wikimedia Commons (GFDL, CC-BY-SA 3.0)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Computational.science.Genetic.algorithm.Crossover.Two.Point.svg
* general.png: From Wikimedia Commons (LGPL3, CC-BY-SA 3.0)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gnome-applications-other.svg
* generate_html.png: Remixed some (LGPL3, CC-BY-SA 3.0)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Desktop_icons
* geometry.png: From Wikimedia Commons (public domain)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Teorema_de_desargues.svg
* image.png: From function reference for “imtransform”
* image-acquisition.png: From function reference for “getsnapshot”
* instrument-control.png: From Wikimedia Commons (public domain)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:9_pin_d-sub_connector_male_closeup.jpg
* interval.png: From function reference for address@hidden/plot”
* io.png: From Wikimedia Commons (LGPL2.1+)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Crystal_Clear_mimetype_spreadsheet.png
* level-set.png: From function reference for “ls_setxor”
* linear-algebra.png: From Wikimedia Commons (GFDL, CC-BY-SA 3.0)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Matrix_pattern_qtl3.svg
* lssa.png: From Journal of Statistical Software (CC-BY 3.0)
http://www.jstatsoft.org/article/view/v011i02
* ltfat.png: From function reference for “demo_phaseret”
* mapping.png: From Wikimedia Commons (public domain)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Map_coordinate_system.gif
* mechanics.png: From function reference for “mdsim”
* miscellaneous.png: From Wikimedia Commons (LGPL3, CC-BY-SA 3.0)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gnome-preferences-other.svg
* missing.png: Based on Wikimedia Commons (LGPL3, CC-BY-SA 3.0)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gnome-emblem-package.svg
* mpi.png: From Wikimedia Commons (public domain)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NetworkTopology-FullyConnected.svg
* msh.png: From OctConf 2015 slides
* mvn.png: From Wikimedia Commons (GFDL)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:NormalVert2d.png
* nan.png: Own work
* ncarray.png: From http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/
* netcdf.png: From Wikimedia Commons (public domain)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Image_annotations.jpg
* nurbs.png: From OctConf 2015 slides
* ocs.png: From Octave Wiki http://wiki.octave.org/File:AND_BW.png
* octclip.png: From Function reference for “oc_polybool”
* octproj.png: From Wikimedia Commons (public domain)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:201globe.svg
* odepkg.png: From Wikimedia Commons (public domain)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Slope_Field_4b.png
* optics.png: From Function reference for “zernike_cartesian”
* optim.png: Own work (Rastrigin function)
* optiminterp.png: From Wikimedia Commons (GFDL, CC-BY 3.0)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sst_dayly.png
* parallel.png: Own work
* quaternion.png: Own work
* queueing.png: From Wikimedia Commons (GFDL, CC-BY-SA 3.0)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Simple_markov_chain.svg
* signal.png: From Wikimedia Commons (CC0)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Aliasing_between_a_positive_and_a_negative_frequency.png
* sockets.png: Own work
* sparsersb.png: From librsb website (LGPL3+) http://librsb.sourceforge.net/
* specfun.png: From Wikimedia Commons (public domain)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ZetaFunction.png
* splines.png: From Wikimedia Commons
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Spline_interpolation.svg
* statistics.png: From Function reference for “boxplot”
* stk.png: From project website https://sourceforge.net/projects/kriging/
* string.png: Own work
* struct.png: From Wikimedia Commons (GFDL, CC-BY-SA 3.0)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ER_Diagram_MMORPG.png
* symbolic.png: Own work
* tisean.png: From Function reference for “c2g”
* tsa.png: From “tsademo”
* vrml.png: From Function demo for “vmesh”
* windows.png: From Wikimedia Commons (GFDL, CC-BY-SA 3.0)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Freilichtmuseum_Josef_Stetschnigs_Gemischtwarenhandlung_14082007_01.jpg