Re: Request for Matlab output

From: Steph Bredenhann
Subject: Re: Request for Matlab output
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 19:04:20 +0200

On 29/10/2015 21:13, Lukas Reichlin wrote:
On 29.10.2015, at 18:50, Lukas Reichlin <address@hidden> wrote:
On 29.10.2015, at 12:36, Lukas Reichlin <address@hidden> wrote:

Dear Octave community,

In order to improve error handling in the control package, I would like to know
what Matlab’s output/error message looks like for each of the following three
lines of code:

dss (1, 2, 3, 4, 0)

feedback (tf (1), tf (-1))

feedback (ss (1), ss (-1))

Could someone with access to Matlab and its Control System Toolbox please send
me the resulting text output?

Thanks in advance,
Lukas

Gentlemen, thank you very much for your help! I’ve just pushed a file
containing my conclusions:

http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/control/ci/default/tree/devel/algebraic_loops.m

Best regards,
Lukas
May I ask you for another test in Matlab?

e = zeros (2, 2);
a = [-1, 1; 1, -1];
b = [1; 0];
c = [1, 0];
d = 0;
sys = dss (a, b, c, d, e)
G = tf (sys)
H = zpk (sys)

I think that descriptor systems with all-zero E matrix and non-invertible A
matrix are invalid. Now I wonder whether Matlab accepts those systems at all or
only returns NaN’s later on.

Best regards,
Lukas

Ubuntu 14.04 x64 with Matlab 2015b

sys =

  a =
       x1  x2
   x1  -1   1
   x2   1  -1

  b =
       u1
   x1   1
   x2   0

  c =
       x1  x2
   y1   1   0

  d =
       u1
   y1   0

  e =
       x1  x2
   x1   0   0
   x2   0   0

Continuous-time state-space model.

Warning: The frequency response has poor relative accuracy. This may be because the response is nearly zero or infinite at all frequencies, or because the state-space realization is ill conditioned. Use the "prescale" command to investigate further.
> In ltipack.ssdata/iodynamics
  In ltipack.ssdata/zpk (line 23)
  In ltipack.ssdata/tf (line 20)
  In lti/tf_ (line 283)
  In DynamicSystem/tf (line 90)
  In untitled (line 11)

G =

  -6369051672525772

Static gain.

Warning: The frequency response has poor relative accuracy. This may be because the response is nearly zero or infinite at all frequencies, or because the state-space realization is ill conditioned. Use the "prescale" command to investigate further.
> In ltipack.ssdata/iodynamics
  In ltipack.ssdata/zpk (line 23)
  In lti/zpk_ (line 295)
  In DynamicSystem/zpk (line 80)