Re: value extractors for octave_value class

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: value extractors for octave_value class
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 09:19:32 -0500

On 11/12/2015 11:10 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

And if you're replacing error_state checks, it seems about the same
amount of lines of code to replace them try-catch blocks, so I don't
see why try-catches seem so onerous. You can still have a try-catch at
the top-level of the interpreter for all conversion errors.

I don't know, it just seems to me that writing a try-catch block for each and every place where we want something more informative than a generic wrong-type error message is even worse than checking error_state in all those places. And it is certainly much more cluttered than writing a single line type extraction that includes the error message right there on the same line.