Re: New hash function

From: LachlanA
Subject: Re: New hash function
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 17:37:12 -0800 (PST)

John W. Eaton wrote
> The dldfcn
> directory is for functions that require external libraries that we would
> prefer to avoid loading unless they are needed.  but if a function just
> depends on functionality provided by libraries that are always loaded,
> there is no particular advantage to making it a .oct file so it might as
> well be always linked with Octave.

jwe,

Thanks for clarifying the role of the dld directory.

Doesn't making rarely-used functions .oct files reduce the memory footprint
by the size of that function?  That is a benefit for all applications that
don't use that function (i.e., the majority)?  What is the overhead of using
a .oct file instead of building the function in (either in time to load or
memory overhead once loaded)?

Lachlan