Re: build_packages.m script, visibility?

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: build_packages.m script, visibility?
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 23:51:26 +0100

On 02.12.2015 19:26, PhilipNienhuis wrote:
> JohnD wrote
>>> From: Nicholas Jankowski <
>
>> jankowskin@
>

>>> To: Octave Maintainers List <
>
>> octave-maintainers@
>

>>> Subject: build_packages.m script, visibility?
>>>
>>> I was going to suggest to someone on the help list that they didn't
>>> follow
>> the
>>> directions in the README to install the included packages, but then
>> realized I
>>> don't know if that user would have ever come across the information that
>> he
>>> should do so.
>>>
>>> is this information presented to someone after running the .exe
>>> installer?
>>> I didn't see any mention of it on the sites to get to Download page.
>>> (Like
>>> something on sourceforge where readme's get displayed on the file
>>> download
>>> page.)
>>>
>>> If it's not, what would be a convenient way to draw attention to it? Can
>>> message be added to the 'installation finished' dialog? display the
>> readme.html
>>> by default following install?
>>>

>> By default, isn't the checkbox for displaying the README enabled?
>>
>> We could probaly add a reminder on the last screen of the installer to run
>> the build_packages script, however whats the chances that anyone will take
>> notice of that either? :)
>>
>> I had started looking at installing the packages in the build so that when
>> installed vide the installer, everything is already there and then the
>> build_packages script will not be required anymore.
>> I'll try to get back to relooking at that.
>
> Wasn't the issue that the cross-built-for-windows Octave executable had to
> be run to "preinstall" the packages in the host (Linux) system?
> A way out would be to reenable native MinGW builds. But I'm unsure if that
> still works - I haven't tried it for ages.
>
> Once there the NSIS stuff from e.g., the octave-3.2.4 installer can be
> re-used (that has check boxes for individual OF packages). That code is
> still somewhere in octave.sf.net
>
> Philip

How is the progress on this? I have just tried the Octave 4.0.1 rc1 on
Windows. I have found the after-install-hint to run build_packages.m.

My first try was not successful. I did not run Octave and
build_packages.m as administrator and was not allowed to install the
packages. There was no error message at all, but no package was
installed. Then I tried to start Octave as administrator, which is not
easy because the .vbs files do not offer such option in the context
menu. I managed to locate octave.bat with explorer, I could run
octave.bat as administrator.

I have observed that build_packages.m goes through the whole pkg install
process and takes a lot of time.

Having the option to install precompiled packages from the installer
would definitely be much better.

I have found compiled .oct files in the package tarballs shipped with
the windows installer.  I could use these without recompilation on my
windows machine! So, shouldn't it be possible to install packages with
the installer? Why does build_packages.m recompile all .oct files?

Oliver