Using Qt help framework

From: Pantxo Diribarne
Subject: Using Qt help framework
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 09:40:56 +0100

Hi,

I prepared the attached 2 xml files as a proof of concept for using the Qt help framework to replace our current doc browser.

If you want to get a taste of what the doc browser could look like and the features we could have access to, copy the 2 files in the same directory as "octave.html" directory (build/tree/doc/interpreter) and run the following commands in that directory:

qcollectiongenerator octave_help.qhcp -o octave_help.qhc
assistant -collectionFile octave_help.qhc

This will produce a self contained Qt Help Collection file and load it into qt-assistant. We can virtually (with time and work as usual) reproduce all the qt-assistant features/widgets behavior using Qt help module [1].

In case you are interested to make the change in the future, the xml files were prepared semi-automatically using java Xerces and HTMLCleaner libraries. I had to parse only 2 files:
* "index.html" to retrieve the table of contents and corresponding html links
* "Function-Index.html" to retrieve the function reference and corresponding links

The above can probably be done using regexp in Octave, which would avoid having to rely on new libraries.

Thoughts?

Pantxo

[1] http://qt.apidoc.info/4.8.5/qthelp.html#details