Re: Re: Using Qt help framework

From: Pantxo Diribarne
Subject: Re: Re: Using Qt help framework
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 09:04:07 +0100

Le 18/01/2016 23:43, Daniel J Sebald a écrit :
On 01/18/2016 06:33 AM, Pantxo Diribarne wrote:

Then you can browse/search the manual in qt-assistant using
assistant -collectionFile octave_qhelp.qhc

The assistance can be controlled from within the Qt GUI as well:

http://doc.qt.io/qt-4.8/assistant-custom-help-viewer.html#using-qt-assistant-remotely

Dan

Yes, this is the most economic approach and will provide almost every search/browse features that we may want. This would make us have to distribute qt-assistant. I am under the impression that anyway if we ever want to integrate octave-forge function reference on a per installed package basis, we will need to distribute qcollectiongenerator. As I have very few time currently (an poor Qt knowledge) I can't propose to implement a custom viewer my self but anyway, lets dream. Among the things we could do with a custom viewer: * select a code snipet in the manual and run it in the interpreter using a simple context menu. Yes, copy/paste is also a solution.
* use short-cuts that comply with the rest of the gui.
* tweak the way search results are displayed. For example Qt has two separate widgets for index search and full text search, and we may want to display both search results on the same page. Say I am looking for doc on "integrate" keyword. We could first run "lookfor ('run')" which would return a few Octave function names that have "integrate" in the first sentence of the help string. Then I can display first the result of an index search on all those functions (Function reference) followed by full text search results.

Pantxo