Re: regarding GSoC 2016

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: regarding GSoC 2016
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 18:14:45 +0100

Carnë Draug wrote:
On 25 March 2016 at 07:57, PhilipNienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
Carnë Draug wrote
On 24 March 2016 at 12:05, Juan Pablo Carbajal &lt;

ajuanpi+dev@

&gt; wrote:
On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 12:54 PM, Neeraj Battan
&lt;

address@hidden

&gt; wrote:
KaKila: Hi, thanks for having a look at my proposal. Can you please tell
me which are the core projects?

Everything that doesn't say "Package" is most likely core. Exception
is in "Infracstructure" the package manager.
With your profile I would also consider that project.

The projects page should be cleared up then.  The logical operations on
polygons are listed under missing core functions but would actually go
into the mapping package.

IMO they better fit in the geometry package. That already contains several
functions that operate on polygons.
Until recently oc_polybool() actually was in there, it was removed (as
JuanPi told me) because its author wanted so (it's now in octclip).

Philip

The functions proposed on the projects page are polybool, ispolycw, poly2ccw,
poly2cw, poly2fv, polyjoin, and polysplit.  They all belong to the Matlab
mapping toolbox therefore would go into the Octave mapping package.

    ? "...Matlab ... therefore..." ?

That "therefore" comes a little quick for me.

Until now I'm only sure that Octave strives to be Matlab-compatible in the sense of being able to run Matlab code. Good! But when did who decide that Octave should mimic Matlab beyond code compatibility and also copy less handy aspects? IOW, where is the basis for "... therefore..."?

My motive is simply this:
I find it much more natural to have functions sorted and divided into add-on packages according to what they do, rather then where they happen to be located in some commercial product that is required to keep a sometimes clumsy legacy around just because of its business model.

New Octave users, not coming from Matlab, would expect functions operating on points, lines and polygons to be grouped together, and not scattered over separate "toolboxes" / add-on packages. Matlab users OTOH would quickly enough get used to "other" function locations. After all, Octave's "toolboxes" have no price tag hence no obstacle for installation AFAICS.

Octave's mapping toolbox already has a (suggested) dependency on the geometry package for other functions than polygon operations.

It's not that I'm pertinently against polygon operation functions in the mapping package. My motive is just what I wrote above.

But I feel that the "decision", or lack of clear decision, about how far Octave should go to become a verbatim Matlab clone and thus also follow less logical/natural TMW decisions, is very implicitly made. If the majority agrees, OK, then I'll shut up on this subject.

Thoughts?

Philip