Re: Need test of patch for OS X

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Need test of patch for OS X
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 11:24:00 -0400

On 05/10/2016 10:50 AM, Ben Abbott wrote:

I did not modify octave.rb (the problems I saw occurred when building with Fink)

I checked the formula for Octave. There is a note to use the Java JDK from the
link below.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US

Does it work if you have a current version of the JVM installed?

Currently, Octave's configure script is checking for the existence and location of the JVM shared library. And on OS X systems (only) the JVM is linked with Octave and calls are made to JVM initialization functions directly. But the goal is to use the same method of dynamically loading the JVM and calling the initialization functions through function pointers (obtained from dlsym or an equivalent method).

Also, instead of only using the location of the JVM that is determined by the configure script, I want to fix this so Octave finds the JVM at run time based on things like JAVA_HOME or looking in the registry (on Windows systems). There should be no need for the JVM to be installed on the build system. Only the jni.h file, and, if building from the hg sources, the tools necessary to compile .jar files.