Re: Help in building pytave

From: Abhinav Tripathi
Subject: Re: Help in building pytave
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 10:39:24 -0700

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
Can we keep these discussions on the maintainers mailing list? Just like
bugs and your blog, I think all questions and discussions about the
project should be public. Adding cc.

Sorry, I thought pytave wasn't officially a part of octave. Will remember in future.

Correct. Even better would be if you build the development version of
Octave yourself and work with that, see below.

I have a development version of octave. I'll try to build it. But I don't know how to pass that to the make script.... It searches for octave files in /usr/include (I guess so because even when liboctave-dev was not installed it searched for the files there)... So, would I need to move the files there? Is there any command line optione that can be passed to give path of my local octave repo?

it's best to build pytave against Octave's
development branch for now. It's most useful for people who should have
no problem hacking Octave and building Octave from mercurial anyway.
Since you are a GSoC student, and hopefully a continuing contributor to
Octave, I think building Octave from mercurial is not an undue burden.

Definitely. It just was my first time trying to build pytave so wanted to try it the shorter way. Will build octave now and reach out if I get stuck...

.
Abhinav