Re: Latex equation support in the documentation created by generate_html

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: Latex equation support in the documentation created by generate_html package
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 05:08:06 +0200

Am 29. Mai 2016 04:37:50 MESZ, schrieb TrucomanX XnamocurT <address@hidden>:
>One thing that we should have in consideration is that
>
>jsMath has a weight 10MB
>MathJax has a weight 33MB
>
>Because this, it is hard to think in a off-line version of
>documentation
>for each package.
>
>Maybe, because that jsMath is a older version can be cleaned
>(discarding
>some fonts).
>
>By other side, as says Oliver, MathJax shows more complete, supporting
>MathML.
>Bun I don't see a poor quality without MathML.  What parts are failing
>in
>MathJax?
>
>Fernando

We could use the MathJax CDN and would not have to host the full 33MB
ourselves. Also, this would work in "offline" documentation if an Internet
connection was available.  Otherwise, the user would see plain TeX equations.

I have observed rendering problems in my browser with the Feynman lectures. All
math content seems to have a wrong font, font size, and/or font weight. I
couldn't identify the root cause yet, but I guess that it is caused by wrong
configuration.

Another approach to equation support in HTML would be to produce HTML plus
MathML. However, the final page would not work in certain browsers. Also we
would have to find some preprocessor that could produce the MathML from TeX
equations during makeinfo.

Maybe I will try and experiment with MathJax and give it another try next week.

Oliver