Re: Trouble building octave all the way ... help?

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Trouble building octave all the way ... help?
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 18:40:13 -0500

Things to try:

1) Build with one of these configure options:

  --without-OSMesa        don't use OSMesa library

[Drawback: plotting may not work for qt or fltk if no replacement for OSMesa is available]

--without-opengl don't use OpenGL libraries, disable OpenGL graphics

[Drawback: it might be that neither qt or fltk plotting will be built in which case gnuplot will be used]

  --disable-docs          don't build documentation files

[Drawback: although the build will complete and you might consequently get a full installation, that installation won't include the help docs of "help plot", etc.]

2) There may also be a way to specify using the gnuplot toolkit to build documentation and still have qt and fltk toolkits.

3) Instead of trying to run a system-wide install, try running from the build environment. Sometimes that works because all of the items reside in that build environment prior to the "make install". I.e., just do "make", not "make install".

To run from the environment, try something like

/home/youraccount/octave/octave/build/run-octave --no-gui

Dan