Re: GSL in octave

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: GSL in octave
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 08:17:15 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----

> From: Marco Atzeri
> To: octave-maintainers
> Date: 2016/7/18, Mon 06:02
> Subject: Re: GSL in octave
>

> On 17/07/2016 21:16, Susi Lehtola wrote:
>>  On 07/17/2016 02:32 AM, Julien Bect wrote:
>>>  Hi Susi,
>>>
>>>  I think that the first thing to do, if you hope to get more feedback
>>>  from people on this list, is to provide a ready-to-test (or
>>>  easy-to-generate) package tarball.
>>>
>>>  To help you with that, I took the liberty to push on the gsl repo a
>>>  Makefile that can be used create a package tarball as simply as
> "make
>>>  dist" (or "make release" if you also want to create a
> documentation
>>>  tarball, but this is mostly useful at release time).  I suggest you
>>>  should pull this t your own clone.
>>>
>>>  This Makefile is essentially the one written by Carnë and Oliver for
>>>  other packages, to which I made some minor changes (which, I hope, are
>>>  correct, but I am no Makefile expert).  The first change adds a
>>>  src/configure target.  The second one enforces a lowercase package name
>>>  in tarball filenames; apparently Octave refuses to install
>>>  GSL-1.2.0.tar.gz.
>>
>>  Thanks!
>>
>>  I created a new test tarball at
>>  https://jussilehtola.fedorapeople.org/gsl-1.2.0.tar.gz
>

>>  Now the configure time checks apply for all the autogenerated functions.
>>

>>  I'm not really familiar with how the add-ons are supposed to work. Does
>>  "pkg build" run configure?
>
> yes, so you should bootstrap before packaging
> otherwise configure is not run.
>
> With bootstrap, it builds and  packages fine.
>
> Question:
> any way to test the functionality ?
>
> 2 (of 2) .m files have no tests.
>

> And the two files itself
>    /usr/share/octave/packages/gsl-1.2.0/test_ellint.m
>    /usr/share/octave/packages/gsl-1.2.0/test_hyperg.m
>
> are not functional.
>
> Regards
> Marco

As Macro wrote, I need to extract an archive and execute ./bootstrap at src
directory.

OS windows 10, octave 4.0.3, 4.1.0+

Then I re-archived the directory and execute pkg install -verbose

This time many gsl functions are checked
However install package failed at latest stage.

parse error near line 1 of file
C:\octave\Octave-4.0.3-x64\share\octave\packages\gsl-1.2.0\PaxHe
aders.25105\test_ellint.m

  syntax error

>>> 30 mtime=1468782588.617700383

In extracted directory
gsl-1.2.0/inst/PaxHeaders.25105/test_ellint.m

30 mtime=1468782588.617700383
30 atime=1468782588.617700383
30 ctime=1468782588.632700696

This cause the error, what is this?

I commented out all lines in
gsl-1.2.0/inst/PaxHeaders.25105/test_ellint.m

and
gsl-1.2.0/inst/PaxHeaders.25105/test_hyperg.m

The build is passed.
Tatsuro