Re: How to disable pdf generation but keep function help

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: How to disable pdf generation but keep function help
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 14:20:32 -0400

On 08/04/2016 02:09 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

I believe jwe has made some changes recently to ensure that only things
that depend on TeX are disabled with --disable-docs. I think this means
that you will still get all builtin help functions and the lookfor cache
created and installed even with --disable-docs, so maybe that option is
safer to use now (with default → 4.2).

Yes, that's the intent.

The name --disable-docs is somewhat misleading now. It is really intended to only disable the parts that require TeX (PDF and DVI output). But to generate the doc-cache file and to have formatted docstrings at the Octave command line, you still need to have makeinfo (from the texinfo package) installed. But that should not require TeX.

Even with --disable-docs, it should still be possible to build the HTML files, but I'm not sure the rules are correct for that yet.