Re: odepkg on Mac (was: Octave 4.2.0 release candidate 1 available for f

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: odepkg on Mac (was: Octave 4.2.0 release candidate 1 available for ftp)
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 11:15:10 -0700

On Fri, Sep 09, 2016 at 20:01:42 +0200, Sebastian wrote:
> > Am 09.09.2016 um 19:35 schrieb Mike Miller <address@hidden>:
> > Do you expect that the issue is macOS- and/or clang-specific? Has anyone
> > other than Sebastian had this problem?
> No, I think nobody tried so far to install odepkg with clang or mac for
> octave>=4.1. We are trying to replicate this for some time...
> I (we?) suspect that there is something wrong with octave's configure and
> clang. My "octave-config.h" does not contain any "#  define F77..."
> statements.
>
> @Mike: can you check this with your Debian installation?

I will try building odepkg against Octave compiled with clang soon. Your
Fortran compiler *is* gfortran, right?

I can show you the following excerpt from my octave-config.h from a
build of Octave from about 2 weeks ago with clang 3.7:

/* #  undef F77_USES_CRAY_CALLING_CONVENTION */
/* #  undef F77_USES_F2C_CALLING_CONVENTION */
#  define F77_USES_GFORTRAN_CALLING_CONVENTION 1
/* #  undef F77_USES_VISUAL_FORTRAN_CALLING_CONVENTION */

#  define F77_FUNC(name,NAME) name ## _
#  define F77_FUNC_(name,NAME) name ## _

If the errors you see are entirely due to those macros missing, then
it's a good bet that I won't be able to reproduce here. If that's the
problem, then let's tackle it at the source, why is octave-config.h
wrong on your system? Is it another case of sed vs ${SED}?

> > In bug #48380, there is a comment saying that the odepkg hg sources work
> > fine against Octave default [1]. But of course this is with gcc.
> GCC on Linux has been reported by Jacopo and Carlo to work if you set
> "configure F77=gfortran". Otherwise it fails.

This is a separate issue that has already been fixed in Octave, passing
F77=gfortran should no longer be necessary.

--
mike