Re: Octave 4.2.0 release candidate 1 available for ftp

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Octave 4.2.0 release candidate 1 available for ftp
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 14:37:50 +0900 (JST)

This is not a bug report but just note.

I only tested on windows.

For bug for unicode on the 4.0 editor seem to be fixed on 4.2.
(I notice the bug for the 4.0 editor today.)

Japanese character 'あ', whose code in utf8n is x82 xA0 in 4.2 and another
editor e.g. notepad++

is encoded ad xE3 x81 in the 4.0 editor.

Of course correction is a good thing.

But I strongly note that unicode characters written on 4.0 GUI editor cannot be
represented correctly
on other editors nor the 4.2 editor (at least windows.)

Workaround:
1. Open a file which includes unicode in 4.0 editor.
2. Copy all text into clip board.
3. Paste the text into editor on 4.2 editor or other editors which can treat
unicode correctly.

I will write this caution on wiki for windows version if the official 4.2 will
be uploaded.

Tatsuro