Re: octave forge packages on a mac

From: Lazy_Tom
Subject: Re: octave forge packages on a mac
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2016 16:24:52 -0700 (PDT)

Sebastian Schöps wrote

> Lazy_Tom wrote
>> Also, due to problems related to conflicts of other ports with Octave it
>> was appealing moving to .dmg.
>> Given your observations I might try to go back to macPorts.
> You could also try homebrew or fink if macports is not working for you
> (all are equally good with individual pros and cons. I personally prefer
> homebrew). However, we can also try to help you with the dmg....
>
> Please report the results of:
>
> otool -L
> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/usr/Cellar/octave/4.2.0-rc1/lib/octave/4.2.0-rc1/liboctave.dylib
>
> otool -L
> /Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/usr/Cellar/octave/4.2.0-rc1/lib/octave/4.2.0-rc1/liboctinterp.dylib
>
> Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

Actually the first package manager that I used was Homebrew but
unfortunately one of the apps that I was interested in was not present in it
so I switched to macPorts :)

But going back to my problem, if macports does not interfere with the octave
.dmg my first step would be to understand why the .dmg doesn't allow to
install packages.

BTW, I'm using Yosemite at the moment. Do you recommend I upgrade to El
Capitan before we start the debug?

About your request of running otool, the directories you required do not
exist in my App. The directory that I found are

/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/usr/Cellar/octave/4.0.3

and going further:

/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/usr/Cellar/octave/4.0.3/lib/octave/4.0.3/liboctave.dylib

with liboctave.dylib being a shortcut

The same observations hold for liboctinterp.dylib

Let me know,

Marco