Re: Moving financial package from SourceForge

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Moving financial package from SourceForge
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2016 12:46:37 -0700

On Sun, Oct 02, 2016 at 16:16:41 +0000, Parsiad Azimzadeh wrote:
> I would like to move the financial package
> http://octave.sourceforge.net/financial/index.html to GitHub
> https://github.com/octave-financial/, due to previous conversations on the
> mailing list about SourceForge's new business model.
>
> I'm not sure, however, if I should do this: is it better to make an Octave
> organization on GitHub? Or is it better to avoid GitHub altogether?
> Suggestions very welcome.

The primary advantage of GitHub is (potential) contributors and project
discovery.

Both platforms offer VCS hosting and hosting of source and binary
releases (I think).

Both platforms are commercial and proprietary.

IMHO one is no more "evil" than the other, both are equally non-free. I
am personally comfortable using either one (with my own self-hosted
copies of projects that are important to me).

One important thing to point out is that there has been and is still a
policy in effect that all "official" packages [1] must have a code
repository hosted within the SourceForge Octave Forge project. So even
if your primary development occurs on GitHub (or elsewhere), there must
be a SourceForge mirror that is updated at least once every time you
want to make a release.

[1]: meaning "can be installed with `pkg install -forge`"

--
mike