Re: Test failure with gsl package / help needed

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Test failure with gsl package / help needed
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 07:48:58 +0900 (JST)

>From: Julien Bect
>To: octave-maintainers
>Date: 2016/10/2, Sun 17:37
>Subject: Re: Test failure with gsl package / help needed
>

>Le 14/09/2016 à 03:34, Tatsuro MATSUOKA a écrit :
>
>I googled by keywords "legendre_sphPlm_array gsl-2.1" and found the > page. >
>>
>http://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/gsl/versions/2.1-1/topics/gsl-deprecated
> >  >  > Functions are not detected in my gsl package build are deprecated in
>gsl-2.1. > Please consider to use new functions written in that page for
>gsl-2.1. >  > Tatsuro
>>In the gsl manual
>>https://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/html_node/Associated-Legendre-Polynomials-and-Spherical-Harmonics.html#Associated-Legendre-Polynomials-and-Spherical-Harmonics
>> Function: int gsl_sf_legendre_sphPlm_array (int lmax, int m, double x,
>>double result_array[])
Function: int gsl_sf_legendre_sphPlm_deriv_array (int lmax, int m, double x,
double result_array[], double result_deriv_array[])
These functions are now deprecated and will be removed in a future release; see
gsl_sf_legendre_array and gsl_sf_legendre_deriv_array. Tatsuro
>Hi Tatsuro, hi all,
>
>Yes, there are four functions that have been deprecated in GSL 2.0
    and for which interfaces are still provided by the gsl package :
    gsl_sf_legendre_Plm_array, gsl_sf_legendre_Plm_deriv_array,
    gsl_sf_legendre_sphPlm_array, gsl_sf_legendre_sphPlm_deriv_array.

>Actually, theses functions are still available in the source code
    for the latest GSL version (2.2.1) but, depending on a preprocessor
    FLAG, they may or may not be available in the compiled library.

>I have made a few changes to the package to deal with this issue:
>
>a) deprecated functions are now silently ignore when found missing
    by configure (previously there was a configure warning);

>b) a deprecation warning is inserted in the help text of the
    function.

>Another related change is the following:
>
>c) missing functions (detected by configure) are not completely
    removed form the oct-file.  Instead, a minimal function is
    preserved, which simply issues an error indicating that the
    corresponding function was found missing in GSL when the package was
    built.

>Please try the latest dev version of the package to confirm that
    everything works for you (I have gsl 2.2.1 as well):

>> hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/gsl gsl-test
>> cd gsl-test
>> make dist
>> cd target && octave
>
>>> pkg install gsl-1.1.0.tar.gz   # you should only see the
    usual message here:
>For information about changes from previous versions of the gsl
    package, run 'news gsl'.

>>> pkg load gsl
>>> test_gslsf
>PASSES 25 out of 25 tests
>
>>> help legendre_Plm_array
>'legendre_Plm_array' is a function from the file
    /home/bect/octave/gsl-1.1.0/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-api-v50+/gsl_sf.oct

> -- Loadable Function: Z = legendre_Plm_array (ARG1, ARG2, ARG3)
> -- Loadable Function: Z = legendre_Plm_array (...)
>
>     Compute arrays of Legendre polynomials P_l^m(x) for m >= 0,
    l =
>     |m|, ..., lmax, |x| <= 1.
>
>     This function is from the GNU Scientific Library, see
>     <http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/> for documentation.
>
>     *DEPRECATION WARNING*: gsl_sf_legendre_Plm_array has been
>     deprecated in GSL 2.0
>
>>> legendre_sphPlm_array ()
>error: GSL function gsl_sf_legendre_sphPlm_array was found missing when the
>gsl package for octave was built.
>

>@++
>Julien

I have confirmed the behaviors that you wrote the above.

Thanks!

Tatsuro