Re: octave forge packages on a mac

From: Eric Barth
Subject: Re: octave forge packages on a mac
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 21:55:03 +0000

I also have this problem.  I'm eager to use Octave 4.x with odepkg with my students in Ordinary Differential Equations class next term.  The key stumbling block is always ease-of-installation for mac users.

Is it workable for one of you kind developers to use pkg build and make an odepkg binary that mac using students can download along with Octave, thereby saving the added hassle for these novice users of compiling the package?

Thank you in advance for your kind consideration,
Eric Barth

On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 3:18 PM c. <address@hidden> wrote:

On 22 Oct 2016, at 17:31, Lazy_Tom <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear Sebastian,
>
> Thanks a lot! I've tried your new build and I have to say Octave is more
> stable now (no weird terminal popup anymore) but I sill have some problems
> with packages. In detail, I installed control package with
>
> pkg install control -forge
>
> and, with some warning which I assume should not be a problem, it worked
> (see details below).
>
> However, trying
>
> pkg install odepkg -forge gave errors (see below). Let me know if you need
> more details.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marco

Marco,

That's not a problem with the macOS binary.

It is known that the current release of odepkg
does not work with Octave 4.2.

A new version of odepkg that is compatible with
Octave 4.2 will be released soon, though.

c.