SIAM event at OctConf 2017?

From: Francesco Faccio
Subject: SIAM event at OctConf 2017?
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 05:17:49 -0800 (PST)

Dear all,

I'm involved in many activities with SIAM [1] (Society for Industrial and
Applied Mathematics) and I think that it could be nice to organize a short
event during OctConf with the EPFL Student Chapter of SIAM [2]. A SIAM
Student Chapter is an association of students and faculty members which
organizes cultural activities such as conferences, courses, summer schools,
programming competitions, in order to promote applied mathematics and it is
founded by SIAM.

This could take place during one (and a half) of the slots available and it
could consist of a short introduction of what is SIAM and what a SIAM
Chapter does (10 min) plus a couple of talks of PhD or Master students which
use Octave in their research (20 min + 20 min).

Since Lousanne is pretty close to Geneva, in the worst  possible case they
would need only some funds to cover the travel costs (but SIAM and EPFL
should cover some costs).

Note that this could be a starting point also for a collaboration in the
other direction: SIAM organizes a lot of big conferences and meetings every
year and it would be interesting to send some people representing Octave at
those events.

If you think that this could be an interesting event for the community
during OctConf, I will contact them to see whether they are available.

Best regards,

Francesco Faccio

[1] http://www.siam.org/
[2] https://epflsiam.wordpress.com/