Re: SIAM event at OctConf 2017?

From: Francesco Faccio
Subject: Re: SIAM event at OctConf 2017?
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 17:19:13 +0100

On 7 February 2017 at 13:17, Francesco Faccio
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm involved in many activities with SIAM [1] (Society for Industrial and
> Applied Mathematics) and I think that it could be nice to organize a short
> event during OctConf with the EPFL Student Chapter of SIAM [2]. A SIAM
> Student Chapter is an association of students and faculty members which
> organizes cultural activities such as conferences, courses, summer schools,
> programming competitions, in order to promote applied mathematics and it is
> founded by SIAM.
>
> This could take place during one (and a half) of the slots available and it
> could consist of a short introduction of what is SIAM and what a SIAM
> Chapter does (10 min) plus a couple of talks of PhD or Master students which
> use Octave in their research (20 min + 20 min).
>
> Since Lousanne is pretty close to Geneva, in the worst  possible case they
> would need only some funds to cover the travel costs (but SIAM and EPFL
> should cover some costs).
>
> Note that this could be a starting point also for a collaboration in the
> other direction: SIAM organizes a lot of big conferences and meetings every
> year and it would be interesting to send some people representing Octave at
> those events.
>
> If you think that this could be an interesting event for the community
> during OctConf, I will contact them to see whether they are available.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Francesco Faccio
>
> [1] http://www.siam.org/
> [2] https://epflsiam.wordpress.com/

Hi Francesco

Is this no longer going to happen?

Carnë

Hi Carnë, all,

unfortunately they mostly use Matlab and R and they don't have experience with Octave.
They will notify their members of the OctConf, so that those interested will have the opportunity to participate, but I don't know if we can do something more.

Maybe we could ask them to present their work in Matlab and then discuss whether it could be done using Octave.
If this can be interested for someone, I will try to organize it.

Francesco