Re: Possible inclusion in commercial support list

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Possible inclusion in commercial support list
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 14:44:16 -0500

On 02/28/2017 03:18 PM, mbro009 wrote:

I think the consensus is that my previous proposal is not accepted. I would
like to withdraw my previous proposal and put forward the following one. I
am very grateful for your time so far.

OK. I think it's probably a good idea to start over here. You could start by saying something like "Hi, I'm ... and I'm interested in starting a support business for Octave. It seems like there's probably a big market out there for this sort of thing and I'm a bit surprised as to why no one is already doing this. Is there anything I should know? Anyway, here's how I think it could work. [... some details...] What do you think?" Or, if you are reluctant to share too much, then maybe ask if there are people who would be interested in discussing this off list. Then maybe we could have a meaningful discussion.

1. We will provide a mirror for GNU Octave. We will not have a separate
version.
2. We will provide support contracts for GNU Octave, designed and provided
under terms set by us.

OK, anyone is free to provide support for Octave. That's part of the reason for the GPL in the first place, so that users have more than one option for support.

3. A proportion of the revenue obtained directly from the support contracts
for GNU Octave will be donated to GNU Octave for development of new features
and general work. The proportion will be determined by us given current and
forecast profitability. The features and work that is completed using these
funds is to be selected by us (but still requiring approval by GNU Octave
maintainers) in the interest of commercial customers;  developers are
selected by GNU Octave provided there is equal opportunity and equity in
selection, and GNU Octave is transparent about equal opportunity statistics.
Developers selected must be job-seekers and complete the work under contract
to GNU Octave as the contracting party and mentored by GNU Octave
maintainers, i.e. they cannot currently be employed in a public or private
institution.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you seem to be under the impression that "GNU Octave" is some kind of legal entity that can make decisions. "GNU Octave" is the software and what we sometimes call the "Octave Project" is just a group of volunteers. There is no business behind it that can hire people. And, like Juan Pablo, I don't understand the part about "job seekers". What difference does it make who does the work?

4. The GNU Octave group is completely transparent in the spending of all
funds provided to it by commercial sponsors.

The FSF, which currently collects funds for the Octave Project is a charity in the US and must disclose how it spends the contributions it receives. When the FSF transfers funds to the Octave Project, the spending must be accounted for and in accordance with the rules governing 501c(3) charities in the US, and the charter/by-laws of the FSF.

5. A non-exclusive relationship. i.e. we are completely free to sell and
develop and make available other solutions, services and products.

OK.

6. GNU Octave will consider rewording some sentences on this page:
https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/support-expectations.html. Note, we will
be approaching things from a commercial perspective of trying to make
customers happy. For example, “Unfortunately, there are a few people who
behave as though the community owes them support as well as a 100% Matlab
compatible system, all at zero cost. It shouldn’t really be necessary, but
we’ll say it anyway: working with these people is no fun. If you approach
the Octave community this way, you are sure to be disappointed. You should
also not be surprised when your requests for help are ignored.”

Sure, we can consider it. But this is my position on what it is like to deal with people who wish to take advantage of unpaid support provided by volunteers. It is a statement from the Octave Project. You are free to market your services however you choose, provided that you adhere to the license terms of GNU Octave.

FWIW, I think the biggest barrier to starting a business supporting Octave is that the community already provides pretty great support *for free*. That's the real value of Octave. It's not the code. It's the people who are working on it. Maybe it would be easier to get people to pay if you could hire all the top contributors and get them to enter into an exclusive relationship with your company such that they only provide support to paying customers and stop providing gratis support.