Re: Test suite regressions vs expected failures

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Test suite regressions vs expected failures
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 11:15:34 -0400

On 08/21/2017 08:02 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 22:24:51 -0700, Rik wrote:
When I added the tests they were not tagged as regressions, just regular
tests.  The '*' tag should be removed from these BIST tests.

To be clear, the '*' tag does not mark the test as a regression. The '*'
tag is supposed to mean that the bug number has been marked as fixed on
the bug tracker. No '*' means that the bug is still open. If I see a
test marked with "<12345>", that means there may still be work to be
done.

If a test fails it is flagged as either an expected failure or a
regression, depending on whether we thought the bug was fixed or not.

Any new tests that are added for bugs when they are fixed should include
the '*' marker.

Yes, so the problem is that these tests are tagged with a report number that has been closed as fixed.

If we intend to fix these problems, then either the bug report should not be closed as fixed, or we need a new report that is not closed.

If we close the report as "won't fix", then should we have tests that fail forever? Or should we have another way to flag them in the tests so that they are reported as "issues we know about but don't plan to fix"? That was the question I was originally trying to ask.