Re: Undetected JRE

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Undetected JRE
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 09:10:41 -0800

On 12/17/2017 09:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Subject:
Undetected JRE
From:
Daryl Lee <address@hidden>
Date:
12/16/2017 08:43 PM
To:
Octave <address@hidden>
Message:
1

Today I had yet another occasion to build up a Windows workstation from scratch.  When I got to the step of installing Octave (4.2.1) the installer told me it couldn't fine a Java JRE, even though I have Java 9.0.1 installed, as evidenced by the output of

> java -version

Is that anything for me to worry about?  At first glance, it looks normal (working GUI, working plots).

--
Daryl Lee

Daryl,

Octave will work fine, although you may not have access to Java routines.  The issue was a problem in the detection script which specifically did not locate Java 9.X.X versions.  That was fixed, about two weeks ago, in this changeset

changeset:   24389:295664c0c922
branch:      stable
parent:      24384:d8626fd6bb36
user:        Rik <address@hidden>
date:        Thu Dec 07 21:47:14 2017 -0800
summary:     configure.ac: Fix test for Java version (bug #52617).

The next bug fix release, 4.2.2, will incorporate this change or you could grab the code from the development sources and build Octave yourself.

Cheers,
Rik