Re: Parallel and MPI with default branch

From: Sebastian Schöps
Subject: Re: Parallel and MPI with default branch
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 18:20:44 +0100

Dear Carlo,

>> I have a theory: I think octave's 64bit-indexing is now enable by default.
>> Did you disable it on your machine?
> Indeed I am configuring Octave with "--disable-64".
>> If I change  "Array<int> info (dim_vector (dest.numel (), 1));"
>> to "int8NDArray info (dim_vector (dest.numel (), 1));" in MPI_Send.cc and
>> "octave_idx_type num;" (which is long long in my case) to "int num;" then I
>> can compile.
> Do you see "octave_idx_type num;" in MPI_Send.cc ?
> I have only this definition for "num" on line 79 of MPI_Send.cc:
> int num = s.length ();

Sorry "octave_idx_type num;" is in MPI_Recv.cc. I had to fix two files.

> BTW, is your build of Octave done with "--enable-64" ?
> Does this still require building all dependencies with 64 integers as
> explained here:
> http://wiki.octave.org/Enable_large_arrays:_Build_octave_such_that_it_can_use_arrays_larger_than_2Gb.
> ?
> What version of BLAS/LAPACK are you linking to? What other libraries do you
> need to compile with custom options?

I do not use any particular switches and I do not special BLAS libraries. It
works with plain openBLAS or Apple's Accelerate. Octave detects during
configure the situation correctly and enables 64bit only for indexing but not
for BLAS. Configure says

64-bit array dims and indexing:       yes
64-bit BLAS array dims and indexing:  no

Best
Sebastian