Re: Quick Question about GNU Octave using

From: Ian McCallion
Subject: Re: Quick Question about GNU Octave using
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 17:11:15 +0100

On Mon, 9 Jul 2018, 16:52 John W. Eaton, <address@hidden> wrote:
On 07/09/2018 11:38 AM, Ian McCallion wrote:

> Another possible interpretation of "Commercial Use" is a product that is
> sold but depends on Octave to work and the user is instructed to install
> Octave before trying to use the product.
>
> I assume this is allowed.

I'm not a lawyer, but as I understand, it depends on the details and
whether the product is a derivative work of Octave.  The method of
distribution doesn't really matter.  If a product actually "depends on
Octave to work" then that sounds like a derivative work of Octave to me.

Surely Octave is merely providing APIs (like android or any other operating system does) and the product is simply a (maybe paid-for) proprietary app.

Cheers... Ian