Re: Namespace resolution in libinterp

From: AndrewJanke
Subject: Re: Namespace resolution in libinterp
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 20:03:03 -0700 (MST)

> A quick peek led me to these two files [1], [2]  which might be of your
interest.

The ov-java.* files define how Java objects behave inside the Octave
interpreter. But I'm looking for something that happens earlier: how the
Octave interpreter would determine that an expression like "foo.bar.Baz"
should be interpreted as a Java class reference. It'd be basically the same
process that lets "foo.bar.Baz" resolve to a function file "+foo/+bar/Baz.m"
using Octave/Matlab namespaces.

> Also, I couldn't see if the latter syntax is used by MATLAB, it still uses
the former one [3], I believe? Not sure how will it increase matlab
compatibility.

Matlab supports both syntaxes. For example, you can just say "m =
java.util.HashMap" instead of "m = javaObject('java.util.HashMap')". This
syntax is convenient if you're doing extensive work with Java objects inside
Matlab, or if you're writing classes that might be implemented in either
M-code or Java.

Cheers,
Andrew