Re: Namespace resolution in libinterp

From: apjanke
Subject: Re: Namespace resolution in libinterp
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 19:54:58 -0700 (MST)

> A quick peek led me to these two files [1], [2]  which might be of your
interest.

The ov-java files define how Java objects behave inside Octave, but as far
as I can tell, they don't contain the code that would let the interpreter
determine whether a given expression (like "foo.bar.Baz") should resolve to
a Java class reference.

I thinnk what I'm looking for is more something under libinterp/parse-tree.
For example, if you had a file `+foo/+bar/Baz.m`, what interpreter code
would look at the expression "foo.bar.Baz" and determine that it resolved to
that function?

> Also, I couldn't see if the latter syntax is used by MATLAB, it still uses
the former one [3], I believe? Not sure how will it increase matlab
compatibility.

Matlab supports both syntaxes, and has for a while. For example, in Matlab,
you can just say `m = java.util.HashMap` instead of `m =
javaObject('java.util.HashMap')`. This syntax is convenient if you're doing
substantial work with Java objects inside Matlab code.

Cheers,
Andrew