Re: Symbolic package 2.7.0

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Re: Symbolic package 2.7.0
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 13:01:03 -0700

On 2018-07-27 06:35 AM, Marius Schamschula wrote:
It looks like the PYTHON env variable is no longer set at install time. In the
previous version I could specify which version of Python and sympy I wanted to
use.

In MacPorts, where there are typically multiple Python versions installed -
never mind the macOS version (which symbolic seems to default to),  this means
that the user has to either set PYTHON in .octaverc or at the prompt for each
octave session.

As you mentioned, you can do "setenv PYTHON /usr/local/bin/mypython" (at the Octave prompt) before running any symbolic commands (or do a "sympref reset" if you already have symbolic variables).

If the the PYTHON env var is unset, it defaults to simply "python". A new feature (intended for distros and other packagers) is that this default command can be changed in "symbolic-2.7.0/private/defaultpython.m" Fedora sets this to "python3" for example. So that might be an appropriate place for site-wide configuration.

BTW, other than the new defaultpython.m file, I don't think this treatment has changed since the previous 2.6.0. How were you doing it before?

Colin