om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] effeciency + a bit poly

From: Atte André Jensen
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] effeciency + a bit poly
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:14:41 +0200

Dave Robillard wrote:

Yes.  If you want to have only one copy of a chorus plugin (which you
almost certainly do), you want to have that as a monophonic node.  This
is what the page on the wiki is all about.

Aha, the fog is clearing :-)

Make sure the "polyphonic" checkbox in the load plugin window is not
selected when you add the node.  You can't change it after the fact.

Wouldn't that be a nice feature (to be able to change a note's polyphony)?

FWIW, I usually keep the polyphonic stuff in a subpatch, and run it
through effects in the parent patch, to keep things seperated and more
flexible in the future.  This is a better practise - there should
probably be a page on the wiki about "good Om practises" like this.

Ok, I see.

So which types of nodes would one normally make monophonic? My guess:

Typical polyphonic nodes:
* Oscillators

Typical monophonic nodes:
* Fx that apply to "the mixture of sound produced by playing the patch". That would be most fx AFAICS...
* Audio in/out.

Finally:

In a polyphonic patch, fat outlined nodes are polyphonic, right? It seems that at least audio out's are always rendered with thin outline. Does this mean that audio out's are always monophonic?

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://www.atte.dk