om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] effeciency + a bit poly

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] effeciency + a bit poly
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 12:53:00 +1000

On Thu, 2005-04-08 at 11:14 +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Dave Robillard wrote:
>
> > Yes.  If you want to have only one copy of a chorus plugin (which you
> > almost certainly do), you want to have that as a monophonic node.  This
> > is what the page on the wiki is all about.
>
> Aha, the fog is clearing :-)
>
> > Make sure the "polyphonic" checkbox in the load plugin window is not
> > selected when you add the node.  You can't change it after the fact.
>
> Wouldn't that be a nice feature (to be able to change a note's polyphony)?

Yep, sure would be.  Nice.. and hard to implement. :)  I think changing
the polyphony of a patch is a lot more critical than switching a node
from polyphonic to monophonic though.

> > FWIW, I usually keep the polyphonic stuff in a subpatch, and run it
> > through effects in the parent patch, to keep things seperated and more
> > flexible in the future.  This is a better practise - there should
> > probably be a page on the wiki about "good Om practises" like this.
>
> Ok, I see.
>
> So which types of nodes would one normally make monophonic? My guess:
>
> Typical polyphonic nodes:
> * Oscillators
>
> Typical monophonic nodes:
> * Fx that apply to "the mixture of sound produced by playing the patch".
> That would be most fx AFAICS...
> * Audio in/out.

Envelopes and anything driven from them are probably going to be
polyphonic as well.

> Finally:
>
> In a polyphonic patch, fat outlined nodes are polyphonic, right? It
> seems that at least audio out's are always rendered with thin outline.
> Does this mean that audio out's are always monophonic?

Audio ins and outs in a top-level patch are monophonic - you can't send
"polyphonic" audio to your speakers through Jack!

Audio ins and outs on a subpatch definitely can be poly though, this way
you can create reusable subpatches like 'oscillator bank' or 'advanced
envelope' or whatever.  If audio outs were always mono, you wouldn't be
able to make an oscillator subpatch, which wouldn't be good.

-DR-