om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] Getting some sound out of Om

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] Getting some sound out of Om
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 02:35:19 +1100

On Fri, 2005-04-11 at 08:13 +0000, S. Massy wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have recently found out about Om and am very anxious to try it. I have
> compiled and installed it successfully and am now trying to get some
> sound out of it using the basic "sine" patch. Here is what I have tried
> so far:
> # jackd -R -d alsa -r 44100
> [all seems ok}
> [in another console]
> # om
> [all ok there as well]
> [in yet another console]
> # om_patch_loader sine.om
> [all ok]
> # jack_connect Om:sine/output alsa_pcm:playback_1
> [all ok}
> # aplaymidi -p 128:0 test.mid

Are you sure 128:0 is actually the right MIDI port?

> At this point, nothing further happens and no sound is output.
> Occasionally, jack will complain about Om's subgraph timing out.

That's very strange.  Om is a very well-behaved Jack client (perfect in
the realtime safe category as far as I know, but I havn't audited the
code in a while).  Unless you're on a 486 or something the sine patch
should run fine.  Do other realtime Jack things work well?

> For the record, I am using the console, and so do not have access to the
> gtk client.
>
> Are there any documentation on writing patches for Om?

The intention is that everything is controlled via OSC.  You "write"
patches in realtime by sending various commands, just as the GTK client
does (and the patch_loader client).  If you're a programming type you
might find the Python or SuperCollider bindings interesting.

I havn't written a console patch /saving/ client, mostly due to lack of
any real personal need to do so.  If you want one, I can bump it up the
TODO list (it won't be difficult).

-DR-