Re: [Openexr-devel] half

From: Paul Schneider
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] half
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:17:09 -0800

I'd like to keep the generation of the half<->float lookup tables a
compile-time thing. For some reason, this step is really slow on my OS X box. It might be due to the fact that it's a 400MHz G4, or it might be an
OS X thing; I haven't had time to investigate.  Anyway, I don't want to
have to pay the cost of this at runtime when it can easily be done at
compile time instead.  It may not matter for some long-running
applications, but simple, fast-running utility programs could be adversely
affected.

I agree. It's pretty slow on my Mac (733 Mhz), and it's pretty darn noticeable on my Linux machine as well (1.8 Ghz). This step is automatic with the unix make system; I'm sure it's possible to automate it in VC++ as well.

I think Jukka also mentioned replacing the system-style includes (#include <file>) with user-style includes (#include "file"). I'm actually for this - we consider EXR a "standard" library at ILM, but I think most 3rd party developers will install it as part of their own code, not as a system-level thing. Unix style compilers (cc, gcc) don't differentiate between the two at all, as far as I know, but other development systems definitely do, and while it's possible to tell the system where to look, it's one more thing to be aware of when trying to get the source to build on different systems. Comments?

- Paul