Re: [Openexr-devel] Two questions...

From: Drew Hess
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Two questions...
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:22:38 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Mr 'Zap' Andersson wrote:

> Hi Drew and gang
>
> a) Any rough ETA on a VC7 functional build that works out-of-the-box?
> Weeks? Months? Just ballpark?

I'm taking a short break from OpenEXR this week and will resume the VC7
work next week.  I don't have an ETA because I'm not sure what kind of
hoops I'll have to jump through to get it working.  One OpenEXR user sent
me a patch that makes parts of OpenEXR compile in VC7, but it achieved
this by commenting out lots of the problematic code (esp. templates), so
that's not gonna work long-term.  I think that templates are the main
problem, most of the others have been solved in the VC6/Intel compiler
port.

Maybe you can test this, but I get the impression that the IlmImf.dll that
exports the ImfCRgbaFile C interface may work with VC7, since all the C++
code in that DLL is statically linked and only the C interface is
exported.  It's not ideal, but if it works it'll get you started until we
come up with something better.

I'd welcome any attempts from the developer community to get OpenEXR
compiling in VC7 with a minimum of source code changes; commenting out
large chunks of code and/or majorly redefining the API don't count ;)

> b) Does ILM have, or know of, any Camera or Camera-like device that
> records *directly* in HDR? Prefferably 24 fps HD resolution. Does such a
> beast exist, even on the drawing planks? Wouldn't it be great to just film
> directly in HDR, digitally? Would aid effect work tremendeously. Also
> snapping shots of lightprobes directly in HDR would be great

I'll let the hardware vendors who may be on the list speak up on this, but
in addition to the Spheron camera that was already mentioned, there's a
similar camera from Panoscan that acquires hi-res HDR images.  And I've
heard rumors of a video camera that supposedly acquires 4kx4k images at
60fps (!!!) with decent dynamic range, but I think it was a prototype
looking for an application, and I suspect it'd be Pretty Expensive.

Expect to see some HD cameras in the near future that can capture some
extra dynamic range.  But these, too, are expensive high-end HD cameras,
not consumer or pro-sumer grade stuff.

-dwh-