Re: [Openexr-devel] Compiling with Xcode--Two Questions

From: Paul Schneider
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Compiling with Xcode--Two Questions
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:30:53 -0800

For some reason, it never found the .h files when set up this way.
However, if I copied all the .h files up one directory to
/usr/local/include it suddenly found them and compiled. I'm not sure why
this is, since Xcode still says that the header search path is
/usr/local/include/OpenEXR.  I currently have a copy of the .h files in
both locations, and it seems to work.

That does sound strange. Maybe you need to trash your build directory and relaunch Xcode - it might have cached the paths to the header files.

Ok, Second, Now that I've got it built, when I run it, either command line
or in the debugger, I get the following Error:
ZeroLink: unknown symbol '__ZN4half5_eLutE'

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I get this too, and have to turn ZeroLink off to build. I haven't looked into why this is, but my guess is it's a bug in ZeroLink, since the normal linker finds all the symbols just fine in my project. I'll look into it more when I have time.

If I turn ZeroLink off, I get an error when Xcode builds:
Undefined symbols:

There's nothing (visible, anyway) after the "Undefined symbols:"
And the next column (Location) says WriteEXR:0

Are you sure it's not telling you which symbols are undefined? Try dragging the bar at the bottom of the Build window up to reveal the panel at the bottom that shows you the unfiltered output from gcc. It should tell you which symbols are missing. It's probably a link order issue, like Scott ran into earlier.

Note:  I just added the -flat_namespace flag because things weren't
working and it mentioned in README.OSX that flat namespaces were necessary for shared libraries. That setting didn't make an impact in this problem
either way.

I don't use have to flat namespaces, and my understanding is they're not recommended.

I'm on OSX 10.3, gcc 3.3 in Xcode.
Anybody have similar experiences?  Suggestions?

I'll try extra hard to get a sample project together today, but things are busy at work. I would be interested in hearing from any other Xcode users who've gotten ZeroLink to work, though.

- Paul