[Openexr-devel] Re: file conversion tools?

From: Matt Pharr
Subject: [Openexr-devel] Re: file conversion tools?
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 09:52:26 -0700

Axel Waggershauser <address@hidden> writes:
> are there any file (command line) conversion tool out there to convert
> float tiffs and rgbe files to openexr and vice versa?

Attached are (very simple) tifftoexr and exrtotiff programs I put together
at one point.  They aren't robust, elegant, etc, but they do
successfully turn both 8-bit and floating-point TIFFs into EXR and EXRs
back into TIFFs.  exrtotiff always writes out 8-bit TIFFs; modifying it
to do floating point shouldn't be too tough.

tifftoexr should compile out of the box.  For exrtotiff, you'll also need
to provide your own ApplyImagingPipeline() function equivalent (to do the
mapping from float to 8-bit if appropriate).  There's some other cruft in
there you'll need to cut out as well to get it to compile, but that should
be straightforward.

Another option is to build something off of the various converters (PNG,
JPG, PPM) in exrtools:

http://scanline.ca/exrtools/

-matt
--
Matt Pharr    address@hidden    <URL:http://graphics.stanford.edu/~mmp>
In a cruel and evil world, being cynical can allow you to get some