Re: [Openexr-devel] ImathTest failures

From: Brian Willoughby
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] ImathTest failures
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:03:01 -0700

[  Since all (non-apple) major MacOS applications are built with
[  CodeWarrior,

You're thinking of the old guard.  Not surprising, as Adobe is part of the old
guard.  The newer Cocoa applications are not CodeWarrior.  Applications from
the NeXTSTEP heritage are also not CW.  They tend to take better advantage of
the processors, so I recommend that folks not ignore ProjectBuilder and Xcode
just because the giants are.

[  and the C++ ABI doens't work across different compilers on MacOS,

I did not realize that CoreWarrior provided their own compiler.  In that case,
they're only compatible if OpenEXR is also compiled with CW.  It should be a
simple exercise to compile OpenEXR with PB/Xcode if compatibility ever becomes
a real problem.

[  it's a good idea to keep the CodeWarrior projects working...

I can't argue with that...
Other than confusion, there is no negative to making sure that both paths work.

[  (Heck, even most of the apps/projects within Apple don't use XCode)

Xcode is a bit "new" and rough.  I use ProjectBuilder, which is quite stable.
Both are based on a code lineage that has been going strong for at least 16
years.

If Xcode is presenting serious problems, it might be a good idea to downgrade
a version and ship OpenEXR with ProjectBuilder Makefiles.  Xcode can always
convert a PB project, and PB is much more stable.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting