Re: [Openexr-devel] Colour space

From: Kenneth A Lloyd
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Colour space
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 10:12:41 -0500

First, I'd like to thank all for the great discussion.

There are many uses of color information.  It seems that most of the discussion in this forum centers on conversion and representation of color in photographic / CG representations in the entertainment and artistic domain.  There are other domains that rely on color information, both naturally and artificially embedded, including scientific and medical applications.  I suppose it would be helpful to determine a practical domain scope for using OpenEXR - sort of a sanctioned use-case scenario set .  How broadly or narrowly focused this scope is defined will allow others to determine what strategy they use in deciding about adopting or extending the OpenEXR standard, including dealing with implications for the meanings associated with spectrum, magnitude, error, non-linearity or application sensitivity curves.

It is unrealistic to try an make OpenEXR all things to all people, but to describe an intended domain range might help focus upon answers.

Ken Lloyd
Sr. Software Architect
Watt Systems Technologies