Re: [Openexr-devel] Adobe's Digital Negative Format

From: Brendan Bolles
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Adobe's Digital Negative Format
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:25:22 -0700

On Sep 27, 2004, at 11:52 AM, Chris Cox wrote:

1) DNG is no more proprietary than OpenEXR
2) DNG is defining what is already in widespread use in a way that enables exchange of data (as opposed to the current proprietary formats, which are semi-TIFF based). 3) DNG is not for document saving or interchange -- it is only trying to set a standard for camera RAW files

And also, isn't the CCD data in 10 or 12-bit integer format? So all the more reason not to use a floating point format like OpenEXR. RAW's not HDR.

I think DNG is to Raw files what OpenEXR is to the other HDR formats. A sensible standard to bring order to the current series of loosely-standardized image formats. And like OpenEXR, it's being pushed by a company that has had to deal directly with the problem, in this case Adobe and their need to separately support every flippin' camera format.

The only thing this has to do with OpenEXR is that it will make it easier to convert a series of RAW exposures into an HDR image because we'll actually be able to read the source images.

I just wish that like OpenEXR, Adobe was going to release a free library to deal with the format. I see things like "Lossless JPEG" that could use source code backup. I also sort of groan at this being yet another extension of the TIFF format.

Brendan