Re: [Openexr-devel] KeyKodes (a recap)

From: Ken McGaugh
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] KeyKodes (a recap)
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:38:45 +0100

On 30 Sep 2004, at 22:53, Tom Dilligan wrote:

Things I'm not clear on:

   In the KeyCode structure: The perfOffset is in perforations or in
frames? I think that it should be in perfs, I've observed that cineon
   files store the perfOffset in frames, and dpx files store perfOffset
in perfs. If the cineon convention is chosen an additional field will
   need to be used to denote the perf offset to the actually align
   the images.

I too feel the perfOffset should be in perfs, not inn frames. One thing I'm
unclear on is if the perfOffset stored in a dpx includes the frame's
perf alignment (ie. "p1"), or is it merely just the cineon-style frame
offset multiplied by the number of perfsPerFrame?  Unfortunately I
don't have access to any dpx sequences here to test this, just cineons.

If it is the latter, then we might need an additional member to store this.

Am I missing anything?

A few more things from me. I think it would be nice if the IlmImf library supplied routines (or methods) for looking up the film manufacturer code and film type characters from the numbers stored in the keycode. I would also like a routine to to build a human readable string of the keycode. And I imagine it would
be handy to have routines to do keycode math.

Many thanks Tom for contributing to this discussion.

--Ken