[Openexr-devel] Introduction and CTL/ICC question

From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann
Subject: [Openexr-devel] Introduction and CTL/ICC question
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:13:28 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I am a developer and photographer from Chemnitz in Germany.
With contributions to the CinePaint project I collected experiences
in HDR work and colour management.

The current limitations in interger based , white point clipping colour
management, as utilized by the ICC spec, led me to this list here. While
current ICC colour management fails to deliver a practical way for HDRs,
CinePaints adaption of that standard is very nice to use for 16-bit
integer processing.
My goal is to make the usage of the OpenEXR and ICC colour management
concepts applicable in one program. Further, usage of ICC profiles for
fast viewing, manipulation, printing and embedding in image files seems a
practical and cheap way, as allready available profilers can be used.
So I have many questions, which are mostly about a future relation of
the OpenEXR approach and the ICC one.

I read "A Proposal for OpenEXR Color Management" and want to know more
details about the conceptual / technical necessity to create a difference
to the ICC way.

CTL seems hard to integrate into an structured information format like ICC
profiles present. What does lead to the procedural aproach of CTL?

What else is different, beside the media white point concept, in ICC spec?

As I understood the CMS will work hardware accelerated on the GPU instead
CPU. Up to what size does CLUTs deliver reasonable performance there?

regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
                                + development for color management
                                + imaging / panoramas