RE: [Openexr-devel] UNICODE support in openexr file I/O

From: Luc-Eric Rousseau
Subject: RE: [Openexr-devel] UNICODE support in openexr file I/O
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:47:49 -0500

In addition to UTF, it would be best if you provided wchar_t support for
Windows like libtiff (TiffOpenW) does.  Most users that require unicode, like
the users of our Japanese versions, run Windows.  (The unix users would
typically be avoiding unicode names because of lack of support elsewhere.)

> The type wchar_t is compiler implementation dependant - it varies
> in size from compiler to compiler and should NEVER be used as a type in files.

pretty much eveyrthing in c++ a library is compiler-dependant, because name
mangling, the object (ex: v-table implementation, exceptions) and data (ex:
enums size) are compiler-dependant.