RE: [Openexr-devel] UNICODE support in openexr file I/O

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: RE: [Openexr-devel] UNICODE support in openexr file I/O
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:04:39 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Luc-Eric Rousseau wrote:

On UNIX what's happening is that you're passing this string, it gets down in C to 'fopen' and eventually to the OS and file system which recognizes the string as a UTF8-encoded name.

Traditional Unix doesn't know about UTF8-encoded filenames as far as I am aware. They simply support any octet sequence which does not include embedded nulls. But OSX's native (non-Unix) filesystem does use unicode in its filenames and it balks if some characters appear in filenames.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn