Re: [Openexr-devel] "standard" for storing a depth map?

From: Christopher Horvath
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] "standard" for storing a depth map?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 13:46:35 -0700

If the depths are floating point values, they can simply be in "real world" units, and do not need to be normalized.

However, 16-bit floats are not really sufficient for "real-world" depth data, with units in feet, meters, or centimeters. When used as an input to something like a depth-based fogging node in Nuke or Shake, you'll see noticeable banding for a scene of the scale of a building or larger.

If you can make it so that the 'z' plane is 32-bit float, with the rest being whatever precision you need for R,G,B,A - it will improve the "depth-based fog in comp" kind of usage considerably.

If you do want to normalize the depths, you could put the near & far values into the header's metadata.